Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Lessons Doctor Who Taught Me

I could act all professional and write an article that is very in, that is very in keeping with the theme of this blog, that doesn't highlight my massive fangirl nature and is very neat and tidy, thank you very much.

I could do that, but I'm not gonna. I could pretend that I'm completely unaffected by the fact that the new Doctor was chosen today. I most definitely would be capable of writing an article that indicated that I'm not head over heels with Peter Capaldi and I'm not currently plotting large amounts of fanfiction in which his character and Billie Piper's gratuitously smush their mouths together, but that, my friends, WOULD BE LIES.

So, without further adieu, I present to you, 23 things the Doctor taught me.

1. There is no such thing as an unimportant person.

2. It isn't what you're born to, or what you are that makes your destiny - it's what you do.

3. Sometimes you need a hand to hold.

4. What's the point in being grown-up, if you can't be childish sometimes?

5. Metal dogs are the best sort.

6. Stories don't belong to one person. Stories belong to the reader.

7. Life's a cycle - sadness may come around, but life (and the Doctor) always comes around to the happy bits again.

8. There are three levels of fan. There's the casual fan, there's fanboy, and then there's Ascended Fanboy.

9. Current Ascended Fanboys include David Tennant and Peter Capaldi.

10. Being a hardcore fan can actually get you somewhere.

11. If you're brilliant at something, there's no shame in taking pride in it.

12. Bananas are a good source of potassium.

13. The foundation of society should be a man that never would.

14. The most important thing in the universe is an ordinary person.

15. Celery is good for your teeth.

16. Sometimes you're born into your family, and sometimes you choose your family.

17. What's important about you isn't the name you were born with, it's the name you choose and the ideals you dedicate yourself to.

18. Never make a bet with a Time Lord. They'll never cough up - especially when they owe you a chicken.

19. Don't give hot chocolate to strange Aztec women. You might accidentally get engaged.

20. When in doubt, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

21. Time is not a linear progression of cause to effect. It's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.

22. There's a better way of living. Not travelling, not seeing amazing things, but standing up and making a decision instead of letting life happen to you.

23. Sometimes, everybody lives!

3 comments:

  1. *grins* - I found your post through the Goddess Syndication tribe thread in the Amazing Biz and Life Academy, Em.

    And as a fellow Whovian (and all-round appreciator of fandom and fanfic in general), Em, I totally love it!

    My favourite lesson from Doctor Who? Sometime, everybody lives (George R R Martin, please take note. Also, Torchwood writers, damnit)

    Blessings


    TANJA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another person from the Amazing Biz and Life Academy, here.

    ahh I love Doctor Who! What a great post. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete